Basquetour: Birding Euskadi
Just a few kilometres away
- Singular architectural heritage of the Montaña Alavesa region
- Between valleys and mountains, small medieval towns and beautiful villages, whose walls and turrets, mansions and stately homes, together with ancient churches and hermitages, open their doors to visitors offering eloquent proof of the artistic and cultural wealth of the Montaña Alavesa.
- The Rioja Alavesa
- Land of vineyards and a thousand-year-old winemaking tradition where traditional wineries stand beside buildings designed by the world’s great architects. 12,000 ha of vineyards that offer wines under an appellation d’origine, recognised as being one of the best in the world. The attractions of the area are not limited to the “kingdom of the grape” as it also boasts fine examples of its historical and cultural heritage, charming villages and an excellent gastronomy.
- The villages of the Wine Route of the Rioja Alavesa. Laguardia
- Regional centre of the Rioja Alavesa, this is a beautiful walled town and one of the starting points of the “Wine Route”.
Founded in the 10th century as a defensive fortress of the Kingdom of Navarre, the original layout of the mediaeval village, surrounded by walls, is still intact.
- Artium Museum, in Vitoria-Gasteiz
- Basque Centre-Museum of Contemporary Art, in Vitoria-Gasteiz. The Musuem offers a broad selection of paintings, sculpture, photography and video by both Basque and foreign artists.
It is an absolute must for those who want to see the latest work produced by artists in all these disciplines.
- Bibat Museum, in Vitoria-Gasteiz
- Bibat expresses the particular nature of its offer as a museum: two museums, two collections, one heritage. Thus, in this cultural space, which has almost 2000 exhibits and is situated at the heart of the mediaeval quarter, links the modern Archaeological Museum with the Gothic and Renaissance lines of the old Palacio Bendaña, which has been the home of the Fournier Playing-card Museum since 1994.
The museum contains therefore a collection of archaeological pieces of considerable interest and one of the best playing-card collections in the world.
- Vitoria-Gasteiz: Its mediaeval quarter, cathedral and greenbelt
- Capital of the Basque Country, known throughout the world for the refurbishing work currently underway on its Old Cathedral (“open for building work”) and its emblematic medieval quarter, the only one of its kind in the Basque Country, Vitoria-Gasteiz is a city with a wealth of history and culture as well as being a modern, well planned and friendly town. This Basque city also boasts one of the highest percentages of green spaces per inhabitant in Europe.
- Wine and Fish Route Interpretation Centre GR-38 “La Traviesa”
- Located in Lagran, the centre offers information, history, images and characteristics of the mythical Wine and Fish Route that joined the La Rioja Alavesa and the Montaña Alavesa with the Coast of Bizkaia and also offers tourist information on the Montaña Alavesa region.